19 November 2010
Scottish Water Treatment Works receives CEEQUAL 'Excellent' Award
CEEQUAL The Glencorse Water Treatment Works project team will be presented with its CEEQUAL Interim Client & Outline Design Award at the ICE Edinburgh Area Branch Annual Dinner on Tuesday 23rd November 2010.
The Scottish Water project, designed by Black & Veatch with ERM and BDP, achieved a score of 83.5% in the CEEQUAL assessment. The score recognises the extra care taken in the design of the project to fulfil Scottish Water’s sustainability objectives. For example:
- All buildings and structures will have grass roofs and the main treatment building features the largest green roof in Scotland.
- Pipelines will be made from low-carbon polyethylene and will be manufactured on site to reduce carbon emissions from transport.
- The local community is being involved via a comprehensive education programme liaising with local schools and a regularly updated website provides project information for the public.
Scottish Water’s Neil McCulloch, CEEQUAL Assessor for the project said: “CEEQUAL has provided the most appropriate and comprehensive assessment of the sustainability of this project. Through the Interim Award we are able to demonstrate that the project is on track to achieve the sustainability objectives set by the client.”
The Award certificates will be presented by ICE President Peter Hansford at the ICE EAB Annual Dinner at the Sheraton Grand Hotel in Edinburgh.
- ENDS -
Note to Editors
CEEQUAL is a scheme operated by and for the UK construction industry to promote improved sustainability in project specification, design and construction and to demonstrate the commitment of the civil engineering industry to environmental quality and social performance.
The scheme rigorously assesses performance across 12 areas of environmental and social concern, rewarding projects on which clients, designers and constructors go beyond the legal and environmental minima to achieve distinctive environmental standards in their work.
Applicants for a CEEQUAL Award report a range of benefits from using CEEQUAL as a driver for improvement and having their project assessed. These include:
- Reputation-building and good PR – including delivery of the applicant’s environmental, sustainability and/or corporate social responsibility policies.
- Improvements to projects and best practice – ranging from whole-life costing, waste minimisation, resource efficiency (materials, water, energy), to reducing complaints and environmental incidents.
- Demonstrating commitment to the environmental agenda – to clients, within the team and the organisations involved, and to the industry as a whole.
- Enhanced team spirit – developing a positive “we must score well here” attitude and rewarding teams that have gone the extra mile.
Since the Scheme’s launch in 2003, more than eighty CEEQUAL Awards have been made. Projects that have achieved an Award are listed on the CEEQUAL website. Currently about 180 further projects are being assessed and the total value of projects that have been or are being assessed now exceeds £15 billion.
For more information about CEEQUAL please visit www.ceequal.com.
For press enquiries, contact:
Marketing & PR Team Coordinator
Tel: +44 (0)20 8687 0718
Tel: +44 (0)20 72549 3302
Scottish Water project contact:
Tel: +44 (0)7875 878 307