Interim Client and Outline Design Award
Client: Transport for London
Designer: Mott McDonald
As part of the new London Overground, Phase One of the East London Line Extension will extend the existing East London Line north to Dalston Junction and south to New Cross, Crystal Palace and West Croydon. Four new stations will be built at Dalston, Haggerston, Hoxton and Shoreditch high Street. The new East London Line will provide a catalyst for regeneration and encourage economic growth in some of the most deprived parts of London.
Interim Client and Design Award
The East London Line Project achieved an Excellent in the Interim Client and Design Award, which assessed the environmental performance of The East London Line Project as the client and the preliminarily designs produced by Mott McDonald. This was a natural point in the project to undertake the assessment, before the Main Works Contractor was appointed to undertake final design and construction.
The key features include:
- Maximising the use of existing and decommissioned railway to minimised the projects land take.
- Maintaining a project Environmental Management System compliant with ISO 14001
- Development of strategic documents for the management of impacts, for example ecology, drainage, landscape and archaeology.
- Undertaking preliminary environmental surveys from which environmental requirements and controls were developed.
- Ensuring the main works Design & Build contract includes clear environmental requirements for the final design and construction phases of the project.
- Inclusion of environmental good practice within the preliminary design, for example operational noise and vibration requirements, rain water harvesting and seeded substrate beds.
- Working closely with local authorities and other stakeholders, for example holding regular Environmental Forums to encourage open discussion of the project’s environmental impact and management.