CEEQUAL Excellent (78.5%) – Construction Only Award
Version 5, Dec 2014 | Dundee, Scotland, UK
Assessor: Clark Riddick (Sir Robert McAlpine)
Verifier: Kiera McLuskey (Network Rail)
A CEEQUAL Excellent Construction Only Award was achieved by Dundee City Council and Sir Robert McAlpine on Stage 3 of the Dundee Central Waterfront Infrastructure Project – Northern Ramp Replacement and Boulevard Provision.
The construction work carried out by Sir Robert McAlpine comprised the following:
- Phased service diversions and major junction realignment at Riverside Roundabout.
- Staged demolition of the three elevated Northern On/Off Ramps including pile-caps.
- Two stage construction of Marketgait Bridge incorporating two stage propping of the deck to allow replacement of 3 no. existing piers.
- Strengthening of the existing deck with carbon fibre plate, waterproofing plinth replacement and concrete repairs to existing deck, whilst accommodating live traffic on the existing Tay Road Bridge.
- Diversion of the Hatton Rising Main that carries pumped foul water in an east/west direction through the site.
- Construction of temporary at-grade diversion routes.
- Provision of a new three lane Northern Boulevard and strategic drainage connecting the proposed junction arrangement at Riverside Roundabout to the new Ramp and temporary Route Layout.
- Installation of below ground works for 4 no. new phased signalised road junctions.
- Protection and diversion of buried pipes and services.
- Installation of road drainage and connections to the existing drainage system.
- Installation of strategic surface water and foul water drainage systems.
- The infilling of Craig Harbour with crushed demolition material from site and also from Tay House and from a site at Alexander Street under a Paragraph 19 Exemption.
How did CEEQUAL influence your project?
Going for a CEEQUAL Award has allowed the client to show their commitment to sustainability and environmental issues and for Sir Robert McAlpine to prove that they could deliver a sustainable project. By working closely together we have been able to achieve the target of obtaining a CEEQUAL Excellent Award for the project. The success of this project in achieving an Excellent Award has encouraged the client and contractor to go for a further award on the next stage of the Dundee Waterfront Development.