CEEQUAL Very Good – Design and Construction Award
Version 5, Aug 2015 | Derby, England, UK
Assessor: Lisa Stuart
In June 2013, Morgan Sindall was awarded the contract to construct a single span replacement for an existing three span structure, replacement of a further single span over sidings and associated road remodelling works.
The replacement work included: temporary footbridge, temporary stats diversions, Spans 1-3 bridge demolition, Span 4 bridge replacement, piled and pad foundations, pressure relieving trough and parapets, new BOW arch span, approach parapets and slabs, stats permanent diversion, and approach roadworks and footways.
The work was completed in February 2015. It has opened up one of the main radial routes into the city providing a gateway for the significant redevelopment / regeneration sites. It also provides opportunity for the alterations to track layout and electrification in the future.
• The iconic, 48.5m Span, Bow arch erected off line and slid over rail.
• Existing structures incorporated into new foundations.
• The 120m Temporary bridge installation incorporating diverted services to soffit and side.
• Permanent EMJ formwork.
• Slewing of BT cables to avoid additional diversion.
• Innovative design of parapet shutters which also acted as screens enabling the continued works over live railway.
• Slender deck design which mirrored the profile of the road alignment.
Challenges faced and Achievements
From the project outset, there were challenges around targeting early contract completion in line with aspirations to reduce the road closure period. This along with the complexity of works in close proximity to the Railway infrastructure and adjacent public, made the project particularly challenging. Innovative use of plant along with robust methodology, working practices and controls enabled the team to complete the majority of the works during normal working hours minimising disruption to rail.
Notable achievements in line with stakeholders’ expectations:
• Safe – Zero Accident Frequency Rate
• On Time – Road opening achieved ahead of Contract Programme.
• No environmental incidents and no noise complaints over the 18-month construction period.
To what extent did the use of CEEQUAL influence your project?
The project team understood that CEEQUAL helps projects of any scale to focus on delivering a sustainable scheme. This project, on the face of it, was a ‘straight forward’ bridge replacement and not of the scale to which CEEQUAL has been applied previously on larger projects by the designer and contractor. However, CEEQUAL was successfully used as a tool to steer some vital design and construction decisions, ensuring that the team was able to deliver a sustainable project.